Immigration and Family Sponsorship from Outside Canada

By Marwa Badra | February 28, 2011

Marwa Badra

by Marwa Badra – Pace Law Firm: During our recent visit to Egypt, we were approached by Egyptian clients who have acquired Canadian citizenship, but are living in Egypt because of work or family commitments.

Due to the recent unrest in the region, many Canadians would prefer to return to Canada accompanied by their families. Unfortunately, the Canadian embassy in Cairo is not always cooperative in these situations, and applications for visitor visas for a spouse or child are sometimes being rejected.

That said, Canadians are sometimes being informed by unqualified individuals that they must be physically present in Canada in order to sponsor a spouse or child to the country. This is incorrect. Please note that this only applies to holders of permanent residence status who are not yet Canadian citizens.

Many of our clients with Canadian citizenship are surprised to learn that they may proceed with a sponsorship application without having to separate from their families in Egypt. The application may not always be successful, but you do not have to come to Canada before filing it.

As always, if you have any questions, contact us and we’ll give you the right information.